James City County is undertaking Engage 2045, the process of updating the currently adopted comprehensive plan from 2015. This phase of Engage 2045 builds upon the vision and preferred future for the County as expressed by citizens during previous rounds of engagement. During this current phase, the Planning Commission Working Group (PCWG) and Planning Commission have reviewed drafts of each chapter of the comprehensive plan. At the June 24, 2021 Planning Commission public hearing, the Planning Commissioners voted to recommend that the Board of Supervisors approve of the draft comprehensive plan. At the same meeting, the Planning Commission considered public comment and made recommended changes to the draft comprehensive plan for consideration by the Board of Supervisors at the July 13, 2021 public hearing.
The Board held a public hearing on the Comprehensive Plan document at its meeting on July 13, 2021. Many public comments were shared with the Board prior to this meeting and during the course of the public hearing itself. The Board closed the public hearing at this meeting. If you would like to watch the meeting it is available to watch on YouTube. The Board’s next consideration of the Comprehensive Plan is currently planned for its meeting on September 28, 2021. If you were not able to speak at the July 13th meeting you can still submit comment to the Board of Supervisors by email (email@example.com), voicemail (757-253-6762) or form (https://jamescitycountyva.gov/3711/Share-Your-Ideas).
Draft chapters and appendices of the comprehensive plan, as well as a summary of the Planning Commission recommended changes, are uploaded for public review below.
To view all draft chapter materials, visit the PCWG Agenda & Minutes page. View recordings of the PCWG meetings on the County's Engage 2045 YouTube playlist along with other presentations and informational videos.
Board of Supervisors Business Meeting
- September 28, 2021 - At this meeting the Board of Supervisors will discuss the draft Comprehensive Plan. Draft materials are posted to the right.
- Read the Planning Commission's recommended changes from their June 24, 2021 meeting here.
Chapters & Appendices
- 01. Introduction (PDF)
- 02. Population (PDF)
- 03. Housing (PDF)
- 04. Economic Development (PDF)
- 05. Environment (PDF)
- 06. Community Character (PDF)
- 07. Parks and Recreation (PDF)
- 08. Public Facilities (PDF)
- 09. Transportation (PDF)
- 10. Land Use (PDF)
- 11. Future Land Use Map (PDF)
- 12. Implementation (PDF)
- A. 2019 Citizen Survey Report (PDF)
- B. Round 1 Public Engagement Summary Report (PDF)
- C. Round 2 Public Engagement Summary Report (PDF)
- D. Round 3 Public Engagement Summary Report (PDF)
- E. Round 4 Public Engagement Summary Report DRAFT (PDF)
- F. Preferred Scenario Framework (PDF)
- G. Population Technical Appendix (PDF)
- H. Character Design Guidelines (PDF)
- I. Public Facilities Appendix Fiscal Information (PDF)
- J. Historic Triangle Transportation Study (PDF)
- K. Roadway Class (PDF)
- L. Open Space Tool Decision Tree (PDF)
- M. History of Planning (PDF)
- N. Glossary (PDF)
- O. Sources List (PDF)