Community Participation Team
About the Community Participation Team
The Community Participation Team (CPT) is responsible for encouraging, facilitating and reporting citizen participation throughout the Comprehensive Plan process. The team primarily works in partnership with staff and the Planning Commission in the coordination of publicity efforts, educating the public, sponsoring public meetings and other input opportunities, encouraging fellow residents and business members to participate in the planning process and putting together a summary report on the public outreach and engagement process and the citizen feedback received.
Public Meeting Objectives
During the first CPT meetings the CPT discussed what they wanted to achieve during the public engagement process. The following are objectives that the CPT will strive to achieve during the process:
- Community members will be given the choice and access to engage in the planning process through multiple activities.
- Educational opportunities will advance the community’s understanding of critical planning issues.
- Public engagement efforts will seek to engage a diversity of residents that is representative of the community.
- Participants’ opinions will be respected, well documented, and will help inform policy direction in the Plan.
- Public engagement efforts will seek to inspire trust and continued interest and involvement in the process.
- Clear documentation, project publicity, and engagement activities will articulate how public inputs have been used to help inform policy direction throughout the process.
- Community engagement will be record breaking and surpass statistics of past planning efforts.
Unless otherwise noted on the Agenda, meetings are held at 4 p.m. in the Building D Large Conference Room at the James City County Government Complex at 101 Mounts Bay Road. Please see the Agendas & Minutes page for details and whether the current meeting is on location or via internet video-conferencing.
|Jan. 11, 2021|
|Jan. 14, 2021|
|Jan. 21, 2021|
|Jan. 28, 2021|
|Feb. 1, 2021|
|Feb. 4, 2021|
|Mar. 8, 2021|
Joint PCWG/CPT Meeting
|Mar. 29, 2021|
|Apr. 12, 2021|
|Jan. 13, 2020||Jan. 27, 2020||Feb. 10 2020||April 20, 2020||May 4, 2020||May 18, 2020|
|June 8, 2020||June 29, 2020||July 15, 2020||July 27, 2020||Aug. 10, 2020||Aug. 24, 2020|
|Sept. 14, 2020||Sept. 17, 2020||Sept. 22, 2020||Sept. 30, 2020||Oct. 12, 2020||Oct. 28, 2020|
|Nov. 16, 2020||Nov. 30, 2020||Dec. 14, 2020|
|Aug. 19, 2019||Aug. 26, 2019||Sept. 17, 2019||Oct. 3, 2019||Oct. 14, 2019||Oct. 28, 2019|
|Nov. 4, 2019||Nov. 18, 2019||Dec. 2, 2019||Dec. 16, 2019|
Citizen members of the CPT are Rachel Becke, Rebecca Bruhl, Glen Carter (Chair), Thomas Hitchens, Philip Piper and Ginny Wertman (Vice Chair). Planning Commission members of the CPT include Julia Leverenz, Jack Haldeman, Rich Krapf and Tim O’Connor.
Download the Community Participation Team Job Description (PDF) to learn more about primary duties, tentative meeting dates and past CPT highlights.
Back (left to right): Tom Hitchens, Jack Haldeman, Phil Piper, Rich Krapf; Front (left to right): Rachel Becke, Julia Leverenz, Ginny Wertman and Glen Carter. Not pictured: Rebecca Bruhl and Tim O’Connor