Aquatics - Summer
|James City County Recreation Center Pool Hours|
|Monday-Thursday||6 a.m.-9 p.m.|
|Friday||8 a.m.-6 p.m.|
|Saturday||8 a.m.-6 p.m.|
Unless otherwise noted, all aquatic classes are held at the James City County Recreation Center indoor pool.
The pool will be closed July 4 for Independence Day and Sept. 7 for Labor Day.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course • Ages 15+
Includes First Aid and CPR certification. Must attend and pass a swim test (held first day of class): 300-yard continuous swim (100 yards of front crawl, 100 yards of breaststroke and 100 yards of choice of front crawl or breaststroke). Retrieve a 10-pound brick from a depth of 7-8 feet and return 20 yards, keeping both hands on the brick at all times; face must remain out of the water. Tread water for two minutes keeping arms out of the water. Must attend every class to earn certification. Failure to complete competency test does not guarantee a full refund. Must turn age 15 by last class. Participants will also visit the outdoor pool at Upper County Park during the course.
|James City County Recreation Center|
|M-F||7/20-7/24||9 a.m.-5 p.m.||$205||107710-A|
American Red Cross Lifeguard Re-Certification • Ages 15+
Renew your Lifeguarding and CPR/AED for professional rescuers certifications. Must successfully complete the prerequisite skills, practical skills, first aid skills and written tests. Failure to complete all requirements does not guarantee a full refund. Cell phone use is not permitted in class and can be grounds for dismissal. Please bring current Lifeguard and CPR card for proof of certification.
|James City County Recreation Center|
|Sat||7/18||9 a.m.-5 p.m.||$60||107750-A|
AQUATIC FITNESS CLASSES
Passes are needed to participate in Aquatic Fitness classes. Both 10-visit and monthly passes are available. For fees, see Monthly Pass Options below. No swimming ability required. Please consult a physician before beginning a class. Note: Check the symbol located beside the Aqua Fitness classes to find a class to match your fitness needs.
►= moderate, low intensity
►►= medium intensity
►►►= high intensity
►Arthritis Aquatic Program
►JOYnts in Motion
►►Aqua Fit Cardio
►►►H2O HIIT FIT
►►►MX IT UP
Aqua Fitness schedules are subject to change. Current schedules and course descriptions are available online and at the James City County Recreation Center Front Desk.
• Unlimited Monthly Pass - without facility membership: $50
• Unlimited Monthly Pass - with 3, 6 or 12-month facility membership: $30
10-Tab Pass 10 classes to use anytime, no expiration date and no facility membership required: $55
- Proper bathing suits are required; cutoffs are not permitted. Infants must wear
approved swim diapers.
- Patrons age 6 and younger must be directly supervised, within arm’s reach, by an adult age 16 or older. Supervising adult must be in the water in proper bathing suit attire.
- Patrons age 6 to 11 must take a swimming proficiency test to enter the water without adult supervision. Patrons age 6 to 11 who do not pass the proficiency test must be directly supervised, within arm’s reach, by an adult age 16 or older. Supervising adult must be in the water in proper bathing suit attire.
- No more than four children (ages 11 & younger) may be supervised by one adult age 16 or older.
- Patrons with skin disease(s), open wounds, nasal or ear discharge, inflamed eyes or any communicable disease are not allowed in the pool.
For a complete list of pool rules, call us at 757-259-4185.
Patrons must be at least age 18 to use the whirlpool on their own; youth ages 12-17 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian in the whirlpool.
- Please consult your physician before using the whirlpool.
- Whirlpool use is not recommended for patrons with cardiovascular problems or who are pregnant.
- A 10-minute time limit is suggested for the whirlpool.
- Maximum occupancy is seven people per tub.