Solid Waste & Recycling
Our curbside recycling program serves James City County residents within the service area. If you live in the service area, you may enroll in the curbside recycling program. To start or discontinue service:
- Contact the Recycling Hotline 757-253-6700
- Email Recycling Customer Service
- Start or discontinue service online
Billing & Procedures
- The fee for curbside recycling services is $7 per household per month
- Recycling haulers will not collect any items left outside the cart
- Services are pre-paid quarterly
- Payments can be made online or in person at the James City County Treasurer’s Office and the Satellite Services Office in Toano
- You may discontinue service at any time
Collection Calendar & Accepted Recyclables
Get more out of recycling in James City County. Besides doing your part to aid the environment, you can also get additional rewards too! By signing up for the Recycling Perks program, you can get access to benefits like river cruises and restaurant discounts. The goal of this program is to improve household recycling efforts and reduce waste by offering great savings and exclusive deals that reward those who recycle.
Curbside Recycling 101
Learn about why we recycle, what we recycle and how we recycle.
Businesses are strongly encouraged to recycle in James City County. The 3 convenience centers are available to businesses for recycling drop off, however most businesses arrange their own recycling services with private contractors. So that we can report our recycling rates as required to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, all businesses are asked to complete the Nonresidential Solid Waste Reduction Reporting Form (PDF) annually and return to VPPSA via mail, fax or email per the instructions on the form. Commercial or contractor generated non-recyclable materials must be disposed of at the Transfer Station on Jolly Pond Road.
Curbside Trash Pick-up
The County does not provide curbside trash pick-up. However residents may hire a private company to provide this service. Check with your HOA or property management company to find out if this service is provided in your community.