Computer Assisted Dispatch (CAD)
The Emergency Communication Center uses a computer assisted dispatch (CAD) system to deliver calls to Police, Fire and/or EMS. The CAD system allows the dispatcher to see the location of all calls for service and the status of all on-duty units at a glance.
The CAD system’s effectiveness is further enhanced by a number of interfaces:
- One reduces call processing time by allowing a dispatcher to transfer information from the phone system directly into the CAD system upon the receipt of a 911 call
- Another saves time by allowing automatic mutual aid requests or calls for service to be shared in real time with our Public Safety partners in surrounding jurisdictions
- Alarm companies can send alarm calls directly into our CAD system which expedites the call by sometimes up to 3 minutes
The Emergency Communications Center uses a phone system that supports:
- Wireline 911
- Wireless 911
- Non-emergency calls for service
- Call processing for the hearing and speech impaired community
We are a part of a regional radio consortium which delivers radio interoperability to James City County, York County, Gloucester County, and the Cities of Williamsburg and Poquoson.