If you want to celebrate National Pie Day with pie, there are more than two dozen types of sweet and savory pies in James City County.
Let’s review traditional dessert pies first!
Dessert Pie Pie Slices
- Center Street Grill offers a great key lime pie made with Nellie and Joe’s key lime juice and they also serve up hot apple pie on a cast iron skillet.
- Corner Pocket has triple chocolate ice cream pie, which includes three layers of ice cream in an oreo cookie crust.
- Old Chickahominy House is known for their homemade chocolate pie, but they also serve coconut pie and have some seasonal pies. Pie can be ordered as dessert or is included as part of some lunch specials (Miss Melinda’s Special and Becky’s Luncheon).
- Opus 9 Steakhouse offers a key lime pie made with real key lime juice.
- Two Drummers Smokehouse serves up pecan pie and cherry crumb pie.
Dessert Pie Slices and Whole Pies
- Charly’s Airport Restaurant may be known for their breathtaking views as airplanes come and go at the Williamsburg-Jamestown Airport, but they’ve also got homemade pies. The pies vary by day since they are freshly baked, but they include pies like pecan, bumbleberry, coconut cream and chocolate peanut butter. They also feature seasonal flavors like pumpkin and sweet potato. Many reviews say “Pie is a must!” Available by the slice or take-home whole pies, Charly’s is a great place to enjoy pie.
- Jamestown Pie Company offers both slices and whole pies. They have more than a dozen fruit pies with flavors such as peach, blueberry, apple raspberry and many more. They also offer pecan pie with or without chocolate or butterscotch and Virginia peanut pie. You can have all nut pies shipped and select fruit pies. Orders can be placed 30 days in advance.
Dessert Whole Pies
- Carrot Tree Kitchens offers four different pies on their dessert menu. They sell whole pies – lemon chess, chocolate cheese, coconut custard and key lime. We suggest calling ahead and then just picking up from the Jamestown Road bakery, which is open daily.
Next up we have two types of savory pies – pot pies and Shepherd’s pie.
- Jamestown Pie Company offers eight different kinds of pot pie in two different sizes – individual and family size. Types include chicken, beef, turkey, veggie and four gourmet specialty flavors (Creole, Surry, Smithfield and Au Gratin.)
- Oceans and Ale has a seafood pot pie on their menu made with She-crab soup, blackened scallops, lobster, shrimp, lump crab, potatoes, veggies and puff pastry.
- The Gabriel Archer Tavern at the Williamsburg Winery offers a Border Springs Farm Shepherd’s Pie made with braised Virginia lamb, carrots, peas, onions, gravy and butter-whipped potatoes.
Make sure to enjoy some pie!
Note: We did not include pizza pies because we celebrate Pizza Day.