(Newport News, Va.) -- Today, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) has reported the death of another Peninsula resident. The patient recently became ill and was admitted to a local hospital where they died. The patient was a female in her 80s. Testing came back positive for the COVID-19 virus. The cause of death was respiratory failure.
The Peninsula Health District has launched an investigation to identify the whereabouts of close contacts. This case is not included in the statewide COVID-19 positive case count today on the VDH website at www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus.
"We extend our deepest sympathies to the families and loved ones," said Peninsula Acting Health Director Dr. Steve Julian. “This is another reminder of how important it is to follow the recommendations being provided to protect the elderly and those with underlying conditions. All of us have a responsibility to protect each other.”
The Peninsula Health District Call Center is open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. seven days a week. For COVID-19 questions, call 757-594-7069.
To lower the risk of respiratory germ spread, including COVID-19, the Virginia Department of Health encourages the following effective behaviors:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer only if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Avoid non-essential travel
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Practice social distancing. Maintain at least six feet of space between yourself and other individuals when out in public.
- Avoid crowds of more than ten people.
This continues to be a rapidly changing situation, and information is being shared as it becomes available on the following websites: www.cdc.gov/covid19 or www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/.
Media Contact: Larry Hill, Phone: 757-683-9175