Parks & Recreation & COVID 19
May 15, 2020
James City County has a variety of opportunities available in our parks to maintain your mental wellness and connect to nature during these challenging times. You can practice social distancing while still getting exercise and reducing your stress. To comply with social distancing guidelines, please maintain a social distance of at least 6-feet and groups of 10 or more are prohibited. Dogs must be leashed and under the complete and immediate control of their owner at all times.
All County parks are open.
• The James City County Marina Store service window is open daily, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. for fuel sales, payments and other Marina transactions. However, the Marina Store remains closed and there are no bike and paddle craft rentals until further notice.
• The Chickahominy Riverfront Park campground is open for all length of camp stays. Bathhouses 1 & 2 also reopen with the campground. As permitted by Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order 55, camping is an activity that can be done safely within social distancing guidelines The Guest Services building remains closed, but campers can make reservations and complete other transactions by calling 757-258-5020 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily. Beginning Thursday, May 21, the Guest Services service window will open 11a.m. – 4 p.m. daily for the sale of ice, firewood and other transactions. The Guest Services building will remain closed until further notice. Paddlecraft rentals are not available at this time. The walking trail, boat ramp, fishing pier and lots of open space are open and available.
• The County’s tennis courts and pickleball courts are open, available for singles play only. The tennis courts are located at Jamestown High School, Warhill High School and Lafayette High School. At Veterans Park, only the eight pickle ball courts are open, 7 a.m. to sunset daily.
Open Park Amenities
• Brickyard Landing, 990 Brickyard Road (off Forge Road): public boat ramp
• Chickahominy Riverfront Park, 1350 John Tyler Highway: campground, walking trail, boat ramp, fishing pier & open space
• Diascund Reservoir Park, 9551 Diascund Reservoir Road: boating access & fishing
• Freedom Park, 5537 Centerville Road: mountain biking, hiking, walking, nature trail & open space
• Greensprings Interpretive Trail, 3751 John Tyler Highway: ADA accessible trail, hiking, running & wildlife viewing (no bikes)
• Ironbound Park, 150 Carriage Road: ADA accessible walking trail
• James City County Marina, 2054 Jamestown Road: wildlife viewing; the Marina Store service window is open daily 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. for fuel sales, payments and other Marina transactions (the Marina Store is closed and there are no bike and paddle craft rentals until further notice).
• James City County Recreation Center Park, 5301 Longhill Road: mulituse trails for hiking, biking & jogging
• Jamestown Beach Event Park, 2205 Jamestown Road: jogging, walking and exercising are allowed on the beach; offshore swimming only for exercise; fishing in fishing area; sitting/standing in picnic areas only; paddle craft launching only in the designated area
• Little Creek Reservoir Park, 180 Lakeview Drive: mulituse trails for hiking, biking and jogging, boat launch & fishing
• Powhatan Creek Park and Blueway, 1831 Jamestown Road: fishing, small watercraft launch & wildlife viewing
• Powhatan Creek Trail, 3131 Ironbound Road: mulituse trails for walking, running, cycling & wildlife viewing
• Upper County Park, 180 Leisure Road/Toano: mountain biking and mulituse trails for hiking, biking and jogging & open space
• Veterans Park (Kidsburg), 3793 Ironbound Road: ADA accessible multiuse trails for hiking, biking & jogging
• Warhill Sports Complex, 4900 Stadium Road: mulituse trails for hiking, biking and jogging, shoreline fishing & open space
The use of these amenities and facilities are permitted in accordance with Governor Ralph Northam’s Executive Order 53. However, opportunities may change so please check regularly for any changes in policy.
What’s Closed/Not Permitted
• All James City County facilities including the recreation centers and Legacy Hall are closed
• All restrooms (except where noted) and water fountains in County Parks are closed
• All public basketball courts, volleyball courts, sports courts, athletic fields, playgrounds and skate park are closed. This also includes these courts at local schools.
• James City County Marina – the Marina Store is closed (service window open) and there are no bike and paddle craft rentals until further notice.
• Jamestown Beach Event Park – sunbathing; grilling (neither personal nor parks grills); wading in the water; shoreline swimming, sitting/standing/picnicking/loitering on the beach are not permitted. Observation pier.
James City County continues to provide most services and staff are available for assistance by phone or email. Visit https://jamescitycountyva.gov for more information on individual departments and services. For more information on County parks and trails, call 757-259-5360.